Contribution rates are intended to provide a level basis of funding using the entry age normal cost method, and an actuarial valuation is performed annually by Cheiron. The July 1, 2021, valuation shows that the amortization period for the unfunded accrued liability decreased to 14.0 years from 14.6 the prior year, and the ratio of assets to total accrued liabilities increased to 80.1% using the four-year smoothed asset value.

Revenue Sources for Fiscal Year 2021

STRS Ohio staff manages approximately 70% of the system’s investments; the remaining 30% is invested by outside managers.

Graphic pie chart of revenue sources for fiscal year 2021.